Babies are God's wish for life to go on...

Babies are God's wish for life to go on...
Best Wishes for Mollie's Little Emma

Sunday, December 21, 2008

The Ghost of Christmas Past

Okay, I'll admit that I'm a sucker at Christmas time for reminiscing about the past. As I wrote my Christmas cards this year (which gets harder to do each year because it seems as though fewer people do so anymore) I felt inclined to rummage through some old photos and lo and behold, found some that pulled at my heartstrings.

Do you remember your first set of wheels? I do! Fly back in time to Christmas, 1955. She was the prettiest light green Schwinn with the fat tires and I rode the wheels off of that bike up and down Iroquois Avenue in Jacksonville, Florida. I loved the rustle of the wind in my hair so much that I named her "Wendy", intrigued by my play on words. This photo shows my older brother, Tom, holding a model airplane in his spanking new Cub Scout uniform and l'il sis Cathie looking on with the face we always liked to call "snagglepuss", though it usually referred to one of us missing teeth. I'm also including one of my Dad's first "wheels", bought together with my Mom in Great Lakes, Illinois in 1946.

Not all Christmas reminiscences are this joyful and mirthful, as Ebenezer Scrooge reminds us painfully each year, but let's remember the good ones and record them for posterity. Here's wishing you and yours the most meaningful and warm Christmas ever.

Christmas tunes send me back, too, and if you like them too, be sure to visit my sister's blog here: http://cogitashuns.blogspot.com We have this thing about "Feliz Navidad" that she explains there quite well.

1 comment:

Cathie said...

*Whew* That takes me back! I can just hear the rolling crunch of the fat tires...both on the bikes AND on the car! That was where you and Tom taught me how to ride a two wheeler. Good grief...Tom in a Scouting uniform. Glad we caught it on film. *Giggle*
Good post, Big Sis.