Babies are God's wish for life to go on...

Babies are God's wish for life to go on...
Best Wishes for Mollie's Little Emma

Thursday, September 18, 2008

Gasp, Sing Me These Songs

Sometime last night, in that twilight space between sleep and wakefulness, I realized that nobody, but nobody, knows the songs that stir those deep memories in me when I hear them. These tunes seriously take me to very specific places and, just like "Name That Tune", the transport happens in seconds, to the strains of the first bar or two of music. So, here they are, for whatever they're worth to anyone reading this. They might be very worth my recording them here for posterity (see yesterday's blog) for dredging up at some distant point. (Some of you might well be able to conjure up the place that one or more of these sends me to?) The order is not significant and there are more that I'm leaving out, but those will have to wait. Can you hum bars from these titles? These are worth to listening to, you'll see...

Come Saturday Morning, 1969, Sandpipers (from The Sterile Cuckoo movie)
Jump, 1984, VanHalen
Valley of the Dolls, 1968, Dionne Warwick
Smooth Operator, 1985, Sade
Gone to Carolina, 1968, James Taylor
The Twelfth of Never, 1957, Johnny Mathis
Bohemian Rhapsody, 1975, Queen
Hotel California, 1976, Eagles,
Unchained Melody, 1955, Roy Hamilton, favorite, but also 1965, The Righteous Brothers
Watermelon Man, 1963, Mongo Santamaria
Coconut, 1971, Nilsson
The Girl from Ipanema, 1963, Astrud and Joao Gilberto and Stan Getz
Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme, 1966, Simon and Garfunkel
Milord, 1959, Edith Piaf
Goin’ Out of My Head (Can’t Take My Eyes Off You), 1968, Lettermen
The Cuckoo Song (Dans La Foret Lointaine), Traditional French
Il Etait Un Petit Navire, (Traditional French)
Benny and the Jets, 1984, Elton John
Playground Love, 1999, Air (from the Virgin Suicides movie)
In the Air Tonight, 1981, Phil Collins
Could Be Anything, 2004, The Eames Era

3 comments:

Steph said...

Hehe, as soon I read Ashlin's song I started thinking "Can't you see, if I could be anything I want to be I would be you see..."

Cathie said...

heh heh...saved the best for last, eh??

Yes, there are quite a few on that list that I share and that have a sense of place for me too. ("Come Saturday Morning" = JU).

A Philly said...

That's funny, I got 'em all except for the last one.

Cheap shot. For lack of a better word, I'm flattered one of our songs wormed it's way into your songs-stuck-in-head playlist.




Nice blog you got goin'ea, Aunt Barb!